(Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training)
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training is a 2 day workshop that offers intensive training for front-line workers and community members. The emphasis is on teaching suicide first-aid to help a person at risk stay safe and seek further help as needed. ASIST provides practical training for caregivers seeking to prevent the immediate risk of suicide.
We have a national team of very experienced trainers. All programmes are rigorously monitored to ensure that the training is delivered to the highest standards. Feedback from participants has been consistently high - over 90% reporting a significant increase in confidence as a result of the training they have experienced.
Participants often include:
- people concerned about family and friends
- natural helpers and advisers
- emergency service workers
- counsellors, teachers and ministers
- mental health practitioners
- workers in health, welfare and justice
- community volunteers.
Working mostly in small groups of one trainer to no more than 15 participants, ASIST uses many different teaching processes to create a practice-oriented and interactive learning experience.
Learn how to:
- recognise invitations for help
- reach out and offer support
- review the risk of suicide
- apply a suicide intervention model
- link people with community resources.
What participants say about our ASIST workshops
- 'Very practical and supportive structure.'
- 'Very important first aid to be armed with, both personally and professionally.'
- 'Presentation was professional and sensitively handled. Extremely thorough and very informative.'
- 'Well delivered and through out workshop.'
How do I sign up for a course?
Mind Cymru and our partners in the Big Lottery-funded Positive Choices Project are soley responsible for delivering the ASIST program in Wales.
- Check our latest workshop dates and venues
How much does it cost and how do I pay?
The cost of the two-day course is £185 per person. The concession rate (unwaged) is £50. You can pay by cheque or ask to be invoiced when booking.
Your fee includes:
- training workbook/materials
- Suicide Intervention Handbook
- refreshments and a buffet lunch each day
- certificate of attendance
The ASIST course runs for two days and will usually start promptly at 9.00am and finish at 5.00pm on both days. Because of the nature of the course it is essential that you are able to attend for the full hours on each day. If you arrive too late on any of the days or have to leave early you won't have completed the course and may have to re-sit a complete course to obtain your certificate.
Because of the emotive nature of the training this course is not recommended for someone who has been recently bereaved.